Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Embrace the Joy of Gift Giving

I know that the holiday season is in full swing (and is over for many) yet it’s still worth checking in on how you’re feeling. Do you feel stressed, inadequate as you may not get “it” right this year and anxious about the impending credit card bills? If so, then take a breath and honestly answer this question for yourself:

Am I willing to try something new this year that has the potential to leave me feeling more loving and connected to those in my life?


I am not suggesting that you abandon all gift giving or even radically change what you are doing. What I am suggesting is that you bring a different intention into any gift you give this holiday and throughout the upcoming year. Make your top priority be: How can my gifts be heart-centered and really demonstrate the love and care I feel for the receiver? Desire for the person to feel loved, understood and fully seen the minute they rip off the paper or open the envelope. Adding a special note stating the intention behind your gift is a wonderful way to enhance the experience for the receiver.

I am a big proponent of seeing is believing. Try it out for yourself. Experiment. Give the gift you have already purchased or planned to give and the one that is drenched in love and fully heart- centered and see which one the gift recipient is still talking about throughout the coming year.

Two gifts I gave that really speak to the soul of the person were:

1. On many occasions a dear friend (aged 55) shared about her painful and abusive alcohol infused upbringing. One time she confided that it deeply saddened her that no one ever read her a bedtime story. I immediately got excited about the thought of providing that experience for her.

I excitedly planned a trip to my local bookstore and purchased a beautiful hardcover book filled with traditional children’s stories. I borrowed a tape recorder from a friend and read a few stories into the recorder. (My voice was far from melodious yet the great thing about homemade gifts is that the thought is really what counts. Imperfections are like your personal heart signature.) I then wrapped the book and the tape so that she could either hear a bedtime story read to her by a dear friend or gift herself with one directly from the book.

My friend was not fully able to receive the heartfelt nature and deep sentiment of the gift. I was fine with that as I know it touched a tender place in her. I knew that my heart was in the right place and trusted that hers was as well.

This was not a gift for any specific occasion. The occasion was that my heart said seize this opportunity to shower someone in love. Remember there does not need to be a calendar holiday to show someone you love them. It is even more special to give someone a meaningful gift because they mean something to you. The surprise of it adds to its deep sentiment.

2. My sister spent many hours a month tending to the kitties at an animal rescue facility. I knew that being of loving service to these furry beings while they awaited loving homes meant the world to her. So I decided to make a donation there in her name.

This was not a very unique gift as many make donations in people’s names all the time. No matter this gift said I value what is important to you and I support your involvement in it. This gift said what is important to you is important to me.

These types of gifts that feel so inspired are such a joy to think up, plan and give. It’s as if you are receiving the gift before the other person does.

A small effort on your part could move mountains in the life of another. What a great reward for performing such a pleasure act.

I enjoy creating loving and personalized gifts for people. Feel free to reach out to me for some suggestions.

Wishing you a holiday season that wraps you with abundance and love,
Amber

6 comments:

  1. Hi Amber!
    I absolutely love your thoughts on gift giving. I am going to take your advice this year and add a note stating my intention when I give my Christmas gifts.
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful post!

    You are Love and Light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, your message is a gift in itself! Thanks so much.

    I agree with Jenne, you are Love and Light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback Jenne. Please let me know how it feels to let others know your intention behind their gift. Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Amber,

    You inspired me. I would like to give a gift to someone I don’t know. I am thinking about an atypical volunteering prospect. I will look into that. If you think of anything original, let me know. Maybe we can volunteer together. Volkan Akkurt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Amber. SO true! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Volkan,

    I am glad that you are inspired to be of service.

    Sure I'd love to help you find an enriching volunteer opportunity. Give me some ideas of what type of people or environments (examples are young, old, outdoors, animals etc...) you enjoy spending time with and we can brainstorm from there.

    With love and kindness,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete