Saturday, December 18, 2010

Takin' It to the Street

I am very appreciative of the wonderful fruit and vegetable stands all over New York where fresh produce is so readily available. I think of these lovely vendors more as the cold weather sets in. I wonder how they can stand outside all day and often into the evening.

I passed by one of the local stands which I frequent and asked the man (Reminds me to get his name next time:) how he was doing in the cold. I mentioned that maybe I'll bring him some coffee next time. I asked him how he liked his coffee and made a mental note. I knew that I would follow through yet am guessing the man thought I was just making conversation.

A few days later, I had the thought to get the coffee on my way to the subway. I gave it to the man and he seemed appreciative. I left and went about my day happy that I could enhance someone elses.

I needed to get some veggies that night and went back to the stand. I checked in with myself on my intention for going to that veggie stand as there were others on my way home. I wanted to make sure that my intention was pure and that I wasn’t going there specifically to receive praise for my kindness. I felt fine if he didn’t even mention it so was sure that I was unattached to his response. Yes, the man did mention how much he appreciated the coffee which again shows me how much people need to be uplifted.

I bring up this intention question as I personally know what it’s like to feel so bad about myself that I did things for the sole purpose of proving to myself and the world that I was a decent human being. I was also very familiar with seeking crumbs of acknowledgement wherever they were thrown. I am deeply grateful to have moved far from that painful reality.

3 questions to ask yourself when doing something nice for another person:
1. Would I do it if the kindness recipient didn't show me any outward appreciation?
2. Am I expecting anything in return for my kindness?
3. Would I do this if I couldn't tell anyone what I did?

I believe that the best way to practice an unselfish act (to make sure that ego gratification is not your motivation) is to do it anonymously. What I mean by this is to do something nice to someone who is not present yet will receive the benefit of your kindness in the near future. The importance here is that your ego is not being stroked by the praise and appreciation of another.

Some good examples are: picking up trash from the sidewalk or in a public bathroom or picking up items that fell off the grocery store shelf with the intent to create a better environment for those to come. Also great is to leave a note on a stranger's door (or better yet add some flowers) wishing them a glorious day.

The next best option is to do something nice for a stranger who will probably acknowledge you yet you are likely less attached to receiving their approval than you are with those you have ongoing relationships with. There is also no way you can earn brownie points or expect something back from them in the future.

Some good examples are: opening the door for someone, giving up your seat on the subway (look for a future post on the benefit of witnessing kind acts) and wishing someone a nice day.

KINDNESS KREATION: Perform one anonymous unselfish act a day for the next 3 days. Then perform one unselfish act towards a stranger a day for the 3 days after that. Post comments on how it feels to perform each. Was there any differences? Can you now give to people you know and love in a more unselfish way?

Please remember that a small gesture on your part could impact someone's view on the world from "All people are unfriendly" to "There is one nice person in the world." That shift may seem small to you yet it could be miraculous and life-changing for that person.

With love and light,
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment