Friday, December 10, 2010

Thank Yous Have a Long Shelf Life

I wanted to share a recent interaction I had with my local tailor Eddie that is such a wonderful example of how simple acts of kindness have more of an effect than we realize at the time we are expressing them.

My winter coat was in need of a new zipper so I recently went to see Eddie who had expertly fixed some of my clothes in early and mid-2008. Eddie looked at my coat and told me what was needed yet didn't make any mention that he remembered me. He then told me that he'd give me a discount as that's "what a Princess deserves." I smiled and thanked him.

We spoke for a few more minutes and he told me some of the things going on in his life. He then told me that the coat would be ready for pick up the following Monday. As it was so cold I asked if he could have it done any sooner as "he didn't want this princess to freeze." :)

As I was about to leave, he said that he remembered me from a year ago. He then smiled and asked me if I recalled what I had sent him back then. I couldn't believe he could be talking about what I thought so I automatically said "No." Then I asked, "the thank you card?" He beamed and said "Yes." He said that I was only the third person who had sent him a thank you card in 11 years.

I was and still am shocked that only 3 of the hundreds of customers he has serviced in 11 years took the few minutes out of their lives to share a simple gesture that honors another. I have found that writing a note or letter seems to have more of an impact than a verbal thank you or simply hitting the send button on an ecard.  

Interestingly, he thought I had been there a year ago when it has actually been about 2 1/2 years. Clearly the memory of my note stayed fresh in his mind. He also remembered details about the other 2 people who appreciated him many years later. There is no telling the magnitude that something done in love can have on a single person or the world. Just do it with generosity of Spirit and let go of the impact.

Clearly the takeaway here is that people need and crave appreciation and it's so easy to take the few minutes that may be remembered exponentially. I have often heard people say that they feel ignored, devalued, unacknowledged, invisible, lonely etc... yet I have never heard someone say that I am too loved and too appreciated.

KINDESS KREATION: (Hint: this icon indicates something you can do to share yourself unselfishly with the world.) Ok, your turn to start the appreciation process. Who can you thank? It may be easier to start with someone you don't know very well so you don't expect any accolades for your gesture. (Look for a future post on the intention behind unselfish acts.)

Your voice and kindness is always valued. Please share your stories below.

I am now on my way to pick up my coat with loving holiday card in hand:)

UPDATE: I went to pick up my coat and waited in line as Eddie finished up with a customer. I noticed this customer was reading something as Eddie filled out her receipt. She then showed me the card I had sent to Eddie 2 1/2 years ago!!! I learned that Eddie had proudly taken it off his bulletin board and handed it to her when I walked in.

I wanted Eddie to read what I had written about him on this blog so I gave him a slip of paper with this blog's URL on it. This customer was touched by the card and asked for the blog URL to learn the background. I continue to be amazed at the ripple effect of small acts of kindness. I need no more evidence to know their importance and I will dedicate my life to spreading them far and wide.

In love, light and thankfulness,
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment